We put DASLS members at the centre of all that we do.
We have a dedicated team who, with the support of the Officers, deal with the day to day business of the Society. They design and organise our services and between them are able to draw on significant resources to assist our members:
Monique Bertoni, Administrator
Monique joined Devon & Exeter Incorporated Law Society on 2 October 1989. As Administrative Secretary she had sole responsibility for the Society's Committees and Services. She was made Administrator in September 2000. She graduated in 1981 from the Université de Perpignan Via Domitia in Applied Business Languages (English & Spanish).
She looks after the President, current Officers and the Main Committee as well a number of the Sub-Committees, Dinners, Newsletter and International events.
Tony Steiner, Executive Director
Tony first came to work for Devon & Exeter Incorporated Law Society at the end of 1994 and again in March 1995. He came to help out for a few weeks as a Part-Time Administrative Assistant. He graduated in 1994 from the University of Plymouth with a Degree in Law (LLB) and in 2013 from the University of Exeter with a Masters in Business Administration (MBA).
He looks after many of the commercial services including the recruitment advertising provided by DASLS, he chairs the Education & Training Sub-Committee and supports the Practice Management Sub-Committee.
The Devon and Somerset Law Society
exists to work for the benefit of its members within its area.
Its area covers all of Devon and Somerset (except Plymouth)
- It is a professional forum for lawyers in both counties
- It provides social functions, e.g. Annual Dinners - including Legal Awards Dinners; Other informal events
- It is a focus of communication for lawyers in the area: - to and from Chancery Lane; between the Membership (Social Functions); Correspondence; Newsletters; Forums and Open Meetings
- It represents the profession in the region and outside - e.g.to Local Government; to other professions; and Chancery Lane
- It provides services for its members:
Cost effective CPD courses (responsive to your requests)
Annual Inter-Firm Surveys for Practice Management
Practice Management Fora and Conference
International Lawyer Network - email email@example.com for information
DASLS Meeting Room - available free for members during office hours
- It assists members who are in difficulty in their practice and facilitates the public communicating with the central regulating body if appropriate.
- If you can think of any other services you would like DASLS to provide for the profession please ask us. If it can be done we will provide it.
The Devon and Somerset Law Society
provides its support for the profession in the area through a committee structure comprising:
Vice President’s Committee - The Society’s Think Tank
Executive Committee - Day to day management of the Society
Education and Training Sub-Committee - CPD accredited courses and seminars
International Relations Sub-Committee - Thriving contacts with the Rennes Bar Association, the Erlangen Lawyers’ Association, the Young Bar of Leuven, the Verona Bar, the Gdansk Bar and the Bilbao Bar. The Society has been an active member of the Federation of European Bars since 1992.
Contentious Business Sub-Committee - Court Liaison, Alternative Dispute Resolution
Non-Contentious Business Sub-Committee - HM Land Registry, Conveyancing, Probate and Trusts
Practice Management Sub-Committee - Encourages modern management techniques and equipment for all offices
Parliamentary Liaison Officers - the group is in liaison with Members of Parliament
Social Sub-Committee - Arranges various local events for members, guests and families
In-House Lawyers’ Group – set up in October 2010 to look at issues specifically affecting members employed in-house.
Climate Change Sub-Committee - set up in December 2020 to promote the benefits to all legal organisations of using carbon neutral processes and practices in their work.
- Members First
- Integrity in all we do
- Co-operate to Achieve
- Commitment to Equality & Diversity
- Environmental Awareness
- Responsibility to our Community
These values determine how we behave and the working environment we enjoy. These are demonstrated in our actions:
a. Members First
- We seek to understand the needs of each Member, both as an individual and (where appropriate) as part of the firm for which he or she works
- We will focus on their needs, every time they contact us or we contact them
- We take every opportunity to build beneficial relationships
- We re-think DASLS role, with Members at its centre
- We look for fun in what we do
b. Integrity in all we do
- We will be open and honest
- We treat others as you would like to be treated
- We aim to give balanced, constructive feedback
- We always observe confidentiality
- We trust others
c. Co-operate to Achieve
- We work together to achieve common goals
- We share good ideas
- Ask for and listen to the views of others
- Recognise when others need help and offer them support
- Celebrate success
d. Commitment to Equality & Diversity
- We will value fairness, equality and diversity in all its dealings, as a provider of services, an employer and a representative of the profession.
- We are committed to eliminating discrimination on the basis of gender, age, disability, race, religion, sexuality or social class.
- We aim to provide accessible services, delivered in a way that respects the needs of each individual.
- We aim to embed these values into every day practice, policies and procedures so that equality and diversity becomes the norm for all.
e. Environmental Awareness
- DASLS recognises the need to minimise its impact on the local, regional and global environment and we will take any reasonable steps to achieve this.
f. Responsibility to our Community
- DASLS recognises that the Profession owes its existence to the communities that support it.
- We acknowledge that many of its members give their time and expertise without personal gain.
- We will seek to support practical initiatives that enhance the environment and communities in which it operates.